The attack took place in several locations in downtown Kongsberg, located about 80 km southwest of Oslo, around 6:30 p.m.
“We can unfortunately confirm that there are several injured and also unfortunately several killed in this episode,” local police official Øyvind Aas told a press conference.
The attack began shortly before 6:30 p.m. (4:00 p.m. GMT) and was described as covering much of Kongsberg, including a Coop supermarket. The suspect was arrested at 6:47 p.m., police said.
Police confirmed five people were killed and two others injured.
“The man who committed this act was arrested by the police and, according to our information, there is only one person involved.”
The motive for the attack was not yet known, but the police added that they could not rule out that it was an act of terrorism.
“Given the unfolding of events, it is natural to assess whether this is a terrorist attack,” local police official Oyvind Aas told a press conference.
“The arrested man has not been questioned and it is too early to say anything about his motives,” he added.
The Norwegian intelligence service PST has been alerted, its spokesperson Martin Bernsen told AFP.
“It’s only speculation at the moment,” he said when asked about the possibility of a terrorist motive.
Channel TV2 reported that the man also had a knife or other weapons.
Several people were killed and others were injured by a man using a bow and arrows to carry out attacks in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, according to local police https://t.co/NR76DUq9OV pic.twitter.com/wj70S0PVlh
– Reuters (@Reuters) October 13, 2021
Police said the suspect, who allegedly acted alone, was taken to a police station in the nearby town of Drammen, but gave no further details about the man.
“There is no active search for other people,” Aas said.
Kongsberg mayor Kari Anne Sand told VG newspaper that the attack was “a tragedy for everyone involved”.
“We are doing everything we can,” she added. “Right now it’s a chaotic situation and there are a lot of rumors.”
The injured were taken to hospital. However, police did not say the number of people injured or give details of their condition.
There is no media capacity at this time. There will soon be a press release at the Kongsberg police station. The exact time is coming.
– South East Police District (@politietsorost) October 13, 2021
In a tweet, the South East Police District confirmed that it had arrested one person following the attacks, which it called a “serious incident”.
Police urged the public to stay at home and several neighborhoods were cordoned off, with TV footage showing ambulances and armed police in the area.
A helicopter and a demining team were also dispatched to the scene.
The website of the public broadcaster NRK published an image sent by a witness of a black arrow coming out of a wall.
Police were due to hold another press conference at 10 p.m.
Norwegian police are not normally armed, but after the attack, the National Police Directorate ordered that police officers be armed throughout the country.
“It’s an additional precaution. Police have so far no indication that there is a change in the national threat level, ”management said in a statement.
Norway has traditionally been a peaceful nation but has suffered attacks from the far right.
Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik carried out two attacks that left 77 people dead on July 22, 2011.