New York real estate heir Robert Durst, who was convicted of murder in September, was hospitalized after contracting COVID-19, his lawyer said.
Defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin said on Saturday he had been informed that Durst had been admitted to hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus. DeGuerin said he was unaware of Durst’s condition and was trying to find more details.
Durst, 78, was sentenced to life in prison on Thursday without the possibility of parole for the murder of his best friend more than two decades ago. Durst, who has numerous medical issues, sat in a wheelchair with a catatonic gaze for much of the sentencing hearing.
“He was very, very ill in the courtroom,” DeGuerin said on Saturday.
Durst was convicted last month in the Los Angeles Superior Court of first degree murder for shooting Susan Berman in the back of the head at point blank range at her home in December 2000.
The murder had been a mystery that haunted family and friends for 15 years before Durst was arrested in 2015 over his reckless decision to participate in a documentary that uncovered new evidence and surprised him in a confession surprising.
DeGuerin said Thursday that Durst would appeal.