Through the Bühren Culture Trail

Through the Buhren Culture Trail

A church, pretty half-timbered houses, a mill, that’s what you expect from southern Lower Saxony – but: an hour and a half? We tell you from the start: the people who developed the “Kulturpfad Bühren” as part of the village renovation program were right. You should take the time. And if it’s just for chatting by the side of the road.

But now to our hike first. We would like to explore “Bühren vor dem Walde”. One of ten villages in the old district of Münden, the nucleus of which dates back to before 400 BC. No one really knows how old the place really is. It was first mentioned in a document in the 10th century, but archaeological findings indicate that a settlement existed long before that.

Here is the key data:

Length: 3 kilometers Duration: 1h30

The nearly three-kilometer tour begins at the church or on Thie – a pretty, well-maintained piece of land. The village center already tells many stories: Bühren was once located on Harster Heerweg, a medieval trade route. The church also dates from this time. As elsewhere, Thié was both a social center and a place of jurisdiction. Today you can see that he still holds the social function.

1025 years of Bühren

At the bus stop we get an overview of the route we are going to take on a map and a leaflet with a lot of information – which however we will not be using today. Not only because the local caretaker met us and offered us a private tour, but also because we opted for the digital version of the tour: put on headphones and listen to the accompanying texts. It goes in High and Low German. And we think: if there is a village story, then on Platt too. Google Play users can find the app in the App Store under “Kulturpfad Bühren”. The files are also available at buehern.de under “Hikes / Hiking trails”.

The little distraction of the cell phone in the hand and ear plugs is unknown at first. But once we have found where the next file can be found on the internet, we always use the “audio guide”. Holding a map for orientation is also unnecessary. In many places there are wooden arrows with a “K” in a circle. They show us the way.

First, we look at one of the oldest houses and learn something about the Schede, a low mountain range about 12 kilometers long that rises in the Bramwald at the source of the Schede. Can you hike there? The following idea was born. Along the small stream we run on the “Verlubungswechsel”. It’s not a spelling problem, it’s flat. And in a nutshell, that says a lot about what probably happened here once – without revealing too much. Because the idyllic path on the Schede, located a little away from the village and sheltered by trees, was probably once the coupling point, that is to say the place where the couples secretly retired – with consequences, as the name of the path suggests. How pretty it is!

Here in the village is the water wheel.

We discover the mills in a similar village idyll, the economic and cultural and historical significance of which is explained on an information board. A water wheel can be seen up close – cultural trail guests are allowed to enter the courtyard, we infer from the signs. It is an “outdated water system”, we learn. What a martial-sounding name … What we mean is: Water came and comes from above on the bike Ah!

And we learn even more about water and its use, namely what a ‘Strülleken’ is and what the spring water was used for: “According to folklore, the spring provided particularly good water (rich in iron). Due to the iron content, it was very tasty and was especially popular with many residents for making coffee. It has also been widely used as a healing water for compresses for general ailments. “

The so-called healing water flows idyllically through the village.

From the water it passes to basalt and hat before arriving at the old Harster Heerweg. We are in awe of the ten cross stones which were found in the Feldmark and which have now been put together to form a memorial. At the end we visit the Church of Pilgrims and Cyclists – small but very pretty – and see: the time has passed in a flash.

Tip 1: Fischers Mühlenhof

Bührens Mühlenhof is also worth a visit regardless of the hike – not just Mill Day, which always coincides with Open Monument Day. Master mechanic Manfred Fischer built this system himself in 2007. It is meant to be a reminder of the “Mill Village”, although in 1968 the last of Bühren’s five outdated mills went out of business. The facility on the “Mühlenhof” is accessible from Tiestraße and Grund and can be viewed at any time. The water from the replica is channeled like an aqueduct on the waterwheel through historic ditches and ravines. More information can be obtained by calling 05502/1093.

The Mühlenhof harbors many stories from the past.

Tip 2: The Protestant Church

The construction of the church of Bühren started around 1150. The small chapel with a semicircular apse was enlarged in the two subsequent phases of medieval renovation with a fortified tower (1220) and a choir instead of an apse ( 1308). An impregnable shelter was fitted out on the first floor of the tower; around 1350 and 1473 it was fitted with bells whose cast pits have proved their worth on the Bührener Tie.

The current nave with its nave in the form of a hall with a flat roof was born from a phase of renovation between 1757 and 1777, which gave the church its current appearance of baroque hall church. The church is reliably open, it is a church for pilgrims and cyclists. The opening hours are from April 1 to September 30, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Every four weeks there are religious services, irregular concerts and cult events.

Tip 3: The ten stones on the cross

The cross stones all come from the surroundings of the Harster Heerweg in the village’s south Feldmark – and from the 12th to the 16th century. They are roughly cut stelae with simple incisions or flat reliefs showing crosses or handicrafts. Only one of the stones is worked more carefully as a “head stele” with a particularly emphasized cross ornamentation. In their formation as a memorial erected in 1955, the stones represent those who died on the Harster Heerweg.

“It was not only a question of atonement and remembrance, but at the same time the living were asked to pray for the poor souls who had died without having received the ecclesiastical sacraments”, specifies the booklet accompanying the hike. “The Bührener Kreuzstein group is the most important monument of its kind in Lower Saxony.”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.